Club History

Harcourt Bowling Club

Brief History of the Harcourt Bowling Club       

The Harcourt Bowling Club was established in 1955 by an enthusiastic band of locals keen on providing a venue for playing bowls and an avenue for social interaction. Newstead Bowling donated 2 guineas (2 pounds 2 shillings) so that a bank account could be established. The first Committee consisted of B Hoare, N Fisher, J Trimble, E Peeler and N James.

The first Pennant Team competed in the 1958-1959 season. In November 1994 the Club house was extended to incorporate the large kitchen and dining facilities we enjoy today. Harcourt Bowling Club members are indebted to the founders of the Club for their vision and enterprise. The spirit of the club is maintained through the descendants of the founding members and other local families. We encourage new members to join us in maintaining the congenial and welcoming spirit of this wonderful club.

HARCOURT BOWLING CLUB BADGE DEVELOPMENT UNCOVERED.  

It was only recently that David Paton from Broadford, discovered the original drawings and a badge for a project for the Harcourt Bowls Club he had way back on 1960. He wondered whether the Harcourt Bowling Club was still in existence. David was encouraged to contact Harcourt Bowling Club to see if it was interested in this story and receiving the old drawings as part of its history file. After making contact with the club, on Thursday November 6th David and his wife Meryle met club members and handed over the original drawings and one of the first badges produced.

David & Dot Paton

David & Meryle Paton handing over the original drawings to club president John Starbuck

For over half a century the drawings, together with one of the first badges produced has survived amongst old papers in David’s files. A search of the club minute books shows that back in the 1959 a sub-committee of the club had the task of having an appropriate badge made. They prepared a design brief that included the apple, pear and cherry to reflect the local industry, as well as bowls. The Art Department at Castlemaine Tech was asked to help in the design, and students were asked to sketch up some ideas. One of these students was David Paton. He was 23 at the time and a teacher at Winters Flat School undertaking night-classes in Certificate of Art at Castlemaine Tech. His lecturer, Mr Brisbane, asked him to carefully draw up, using black ink, the type of design chosen by the club, and allowing the club to choose the colours. The attached photo shows the ink drawing with the colours hand written in. David coloured the design accordingly and again submitted to the club which then sought quotes for the manufacture of badges. Following a meeting of the “badge committee” on 15/10/1960, an initial order was placed on Swan and Hudson Pty Ltd for 250 badges, 50 spoons, 50 bottle openers and 50 tie bars. Total cost was 14 pounds and 1 shilling. The attached photos show the items still held at the club.Knife-Fork

Over 50 years later the badge design layout is still used at the club, most recently on club uniforms as our logo.

Shirt